Poinsettia, Mexican flameleaf, Christmas star
3–10 ft. tall, 3–7 ft. wide
Neutral to acidic
Yellow; bracts (modified leaves) are usually red but other colors are available
Mild symptoms to dogs and cats but not poisonous. The white sap can have allergic properties for people with latex allergies.
- Poinsettia Care
- Types of Poinsettias
- Common Pests & Plant Diseases
- How to Get Poinsettias to Rebloom
- coarse Problems With Poinsettias
There is no indigence to discard your poinsettia come January—you can keep it healthy and vigorous throughout class with the right care. The trick : Provide enough filtered sun, warmheartedness, and water, and your poinsettia thrive. If you ‘re specially motivate and follow a regimen of specific worry, your establish might rebloom following vacation temper .
The Spruce / Leticia Almeida
The Spruce / Leticia Almeida
The Spruce / Leticia Almeida
Poinsettia do best when placed in bright, diffuse sunlight, then place your implant near a cheery window where it will receive at least six to eight hours of diffused alight per day. Although the plants can survive with fewer hours of light, they wo n’t be american samoa vigorous or as durable. Be aware that exposure to direct sunlight can burn bracts and leaves .
While poinsettias are typically purchased already potted from a garden center or greenhouse, if you ‘re planting ( or replanting ) a poinsettia, choose a well-draining peat-based pot dirty for best achiever .
Water your poinsettia whenever the dirt come on feels dry to the touch. Saturate the dirty wholly until water runs through the drain holes in the bottom of the potentiometer, but do not let the plant model in water. If the pot was wrapped in cosmetic hydrofoil, be surely to poke a few holes through the buttocks to allow excess water to drain away Overwatering is the quickest room to kill a poinsettia, and wilting leaves are normally a sign of overwatering .
temperature and Humidity
To keep your poinsettia in bloom arsenic long as possible, maintain a temperature of 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. A little drop curtain in temperature at night will not hurt the plant. however, cold draft, allowing the leaves to touch a cold window, or more importantly, a miss of adequate idle, can injure the leaves and cause premature yellow and leaf flatten .
miss of humidity during dry seasons, peculiarly during winter, is an ongoing problem for most houseplants, including poinsettia. If your home tends to be dry, consider investing in a small distance humidifier to increase humidity levels in the area surrounding your poinsettia .
Do not fertilize mexican flameleafs during their bloom period. When keeping the implant throughout the class, you can begin fertilizing in the spring at half-strength when there ‘s no increase, but not until then. fertilize every three to four weeks until the plant is re-established .
Types of Poinsettias
Besides the traditional red bracts, newer hybrids have been bred in a variety show of colors, including shades of white, cream, scandalmongering, pink-orange, purple, burgundy, and pink. notice that some unusual colors, such as blue, are produced using dyes, and if the plant reblooms, bracts will be their natural color. here are a few colorful varieties for your holiday décor :
- ‘Plum Pudding’: The first purple hybrid introduced to the market
- ‘Lemon Drop’: Cheery varietal with yellow bracts
- ‘Jingle Bells’: Red bracts splashed with creamy white markings
Common Pests & Plant Diseases
Like many houseplants, poinsettias are susceptible to a assortment of diseases and pests, including gnats, whiteflies, thrips, mealybugs, and powdery mold. If you notice signs of an infestation or illness, remove the moved sphere of the plant immediately and treat with an insecticide or antifungal until all signs of problems have disappeared .
How to Get Poinsettias to Rebloom
If you want to grow your poinsettia throughout the year and force reblooming for the adjacent vacation season, you must follow a very specific process throughout the class. Achieving rebloom is not easy, so do n’t be disheartened if you do n’t succeed on your beginning judge .
December to Early give
Water your holiday poinsettia, keeping them damp but not soaked. then, starting in early spring, do the following :
- Gradually decrease waterings, allowing the soil to dry out between waterings. Be careful that the stem of your poinsettia does not begin to shrivel—this is a sign the plant is too stressed and is dying.
- In a week or two, when the plant has acclimated to this drying process, move it to a cool spot, such as the basement or a heated garage. Keep the temperature around 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
In mid-may, do the stick to :
- Cut the stems back to about four inches and repot your poinsettia into a slightly larger container filled with new potting soil.
- Water well and place the newly-potted plant in front of the brightest window you have, and once again keep it at a temperature of 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Continue watering whenever the surface of the soil feels dry and watch for new growth.
- Once new growth appears, begin fertilizing every two weeks with a complete fertilizer.
Come summer, move your potted poinsettia outdoors. Keep it in a partially shaded localization and maintain your water and fertilize agenda .
In early July, pilfer back each stem by about one edge to encourage a stout, well-branched plant. If left unpinched, the poinsettia will grow improbable and lank .
By mid-august, the stems should have branched and leafed out. once again, apprehension or cut the new stems, leaving three to four leaves on each shoot. Bring the implant indoors and place it near your brightest window.
Poinsettias are short-day plants, meaning their bud set is affected by the length of day. To rebloom, poinsettias need about 10 weeks with 12 to 14 hours of absolute darkness per day. You will have to artificially create these conditions and remain diligent .
At the identical begin of October, do the postdate :
- Keep your plant in complete darkness from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m.—any exposure to light will delay blooming.
- Use an opaque box or other material to block out all light, including artificial light. Many people place their plants in a closet, but if any light gets through cracks or if you open and use the closet, the exposure to light will affect the bud set.
- Move the plant back to the sunny window during the daytime and continue watering and fertilizing.
November and December
About the last workweek of November, stop the iniquity discussion and allow the plant to remain near the window. You should see flower bud at this point. Stop fertilizing around mid-December. Keep watering and treat your plant the direction you did when you beginning brought it home in bloom. If all has gone well, bracts should begin to show color .
coarse Problems With Poinsettias
While caring for your poinsettia to encourage it to rebloom, be on the lookout for the signs of leaf and solution decomposition problems described here .
Leaves Turning yellow
Leaves will turn wholly yellow or develop yellow around the veins of lower leaves if the plant is stressed. There are many reasons for yellowing leaves :
- The plant isn’t getting enough magnesium.
- The plant isn’t getting enough molybdenum and needs soil pH to adjust to above 5.5.
- The plant is being over-fertilized.
- Powdery mildew is starting to form on the leaves and needs fungicide.
- The potting mix is too acidic.
- The plant is overwatered, low light conditions, and low temperatures.
If leaves have small spots with yellow halo, the plant has scab, which requires a antifungal application.
Stems and Leaves Turning Brown
Brown spots form on the plant in diverse places if it has canker, which might be helped by removing affect portions of the poinsettia. Stems will turn brown or total darkness if the plant has root putrefaction. Remove infected portions of the plant and try to repot the remaining fitter parts in clean territory and clean pots using sterile gardening tools. Apply a antifungal to the plant for protection.
plant Leaves Falling Off
When a poinsettia defoliates, it does n’t spell adept news and can lead to the death of the plant. It means that the poinsettia has serious canker or severe root decompose from being underwatered, overwatered, or overfertilized. If some leaves are falling, the plant might besides need a act more light .
Are poinsettias easy to care for?
If you want to keep your poinsettia alive through to the future year ‘s vacation and beyond, you will need to babysit the establish quite a moment. It ‘s a job for an indoor gardener who appreciates a challenge .
How long can a poinsettia live?
If you are dedicated to keeping your indoor establish on a rigid agenda for reblooming, it can live for up to two years, quite possibly three, or even longer .
How fast does a poinsettia grow?
An indoor poinsettia does n’t necessarily “ grow, ” but it can rebloom. however, when grown in the wild, poinsettias are reasonably quick growers and can reach between 10 and 15 feet improbable .